The Meal, Ready-to-Eat — commonly known as the MRE — is a self-contained, individual field ration in lightweight packaging bought by the United States military for its service members for use in combat or other field conditions where organized food facilities are not available. The MRE replaced the canned MCI or Meal, Combat, Individual rations in 1981 and is the intended successor to the lighter LRP ration developed by the United States Army for Special Forces and Ranger patrol units in Vietnam.
- Chapter 15 - Saul, Angel and Lizzy come up with the idea to get MREs from the Army Reserve Center.
- Chapter 16 - Angel and Kalani set off on the mission to get the MREs.
- Chapter 17 - Angel and Kalani find one of the cages has been broken open and a large amount of MREs had been eaten. They find another load of MREs and succesfully. Skittles reveals that he had been eating them, and that a Big One probably smelled it and thats why it started eating the rest of them.
- Chapter 22 - Victor suggests that Pegs eats an MRE cracker to settle her stomach whilst they are lost near Ground Zero.
- Vacuum sealed to preseve the contents; has a shelf life of 3 1/2 years.
- The packaging means that zombies can't smell it.
- Main course and a side dish
- A dessert snack
- Crackers or a bread with a spread of either cheese or peanut butter
- Powdered beverage mix
- An accessory pack containing: matches, napkin, seasoning, and gum
- Users can heat their meal with the flameless heater, which produces heat through a chemical reaction by adding water to the heater.