Chloroform is a chemical that can be produced using materials that can be found in a home setting. When breathed in it can cause a person to rapidly lose consciousness. From the late 1840s to the early 1900s it was used medically as an anesthetic, but it was considered unsafe and has been replaced by safer products. In popular fiction chloroform is often associated with criminal acts, such as kidnapping and date-rape, when its anesthetic effect is used on people against their will.
|Bottle of Chloroform|
- In Chapter 7, Part 3 Michael produces a supply of chloroform using "bleach, nail remover and some time". A group from the Tower uses the chloroform to sedate a group of zombies that are attracted using sweat jars. The sedated zombies have trackers attached to them so they can be tracked back to their source. During the process some of the zombies wake up far earlier than expected and have to be re-dosed with chloroform. During this process Lizzy is accidentally dosed and rendered unconscious.
Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroform
- Michael explains that he learned how to make chloroform "overseas", implying it was something he used while serving in the military.
- Michael made two versions of the chloroform, a liquid version that was applied using rags, and an aerosol version that could be used to dose a room.
- Chloroform can be lethal if a person is exposed to large quantities, and some people will die rapidly from even limited exposure.
- Chloroform is known to cause birth defects for unborn children. This could become an issue if Lizzy was already pregnant at the time she was exposed.
- Chloroform is used in several industrial processes, including making Teflon and air conditioning refrigerant. It is also a component of the nerve agent Phosgene.